What if disaster strikes?
What if your
- Computer crashes?
- Computer is stolen?
- Office is broken into?
- Best selling product stops selling?
- Business partner leaves or passes away suddenly?
- Records archives burn down?
How do I prepare for such events?
The answer – BACKUPS. The magic number of backups is 3.
- One with you possibly done daily or every other day,
- One in a secure location on the premises,
- In a safe or the like
- One stored off site – ie: not at the office or in your car!
- The ideal place would be a safety deposit box.
Major versus Minor?
- Ask an expert to recover as much data as possible
- Restore your latest backup
- Patch up any holes in the data you need.
- carry on with your work.
This disaster should not put you out of action for more than a couple of days or maybe a week. Having said that, his does depend on the circumstances though. There are numerous factors. It may not even cause you down time IF there is a great plan in place.
In the event of this happening, the best advice is not to panic. There is a plan for a reason so do not make irrational decisions without going through the recovery plan.